'I could hear him cry, then suddenly he stopped' - Mother tells of child's death in fire

2018-03-09 08:22
Lulama Ngqiyi in red, holding her youngest. Next to her is her eldest daughter, Zintle. (Thembela Ntongana, GroundUp)

Lulama Ngqiyi in red, holding her youngest. Next to her is her eldest daughter, Zintle. (Thembela Ntongana, GroundUp)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - "I could hear him cry and then suddenly he stopped," says Lulama Ngqiyi, recalling the day her son died in a fire in Pholile Park in Strand on the night of March 2. Her son, Lukho, was nine years old.

In her new one-room, rebuilt shack, she sits with her two daughters and her grandson on an orange plastic sheet to cover the sand below, GroundUp reports.

The home has no furniture, only a small table for a candle and a few plastic bags of donated clothes used as pillows. In one corner is a crate with baby food.

The fire in Pholile Park left more than 150 people homeless that night. Ngqiyi lost everything.

Read: 10-year-old dies in Strand fire, while residents near Pearly Beach evacuated for separate blaze

When GroundUp met her she had just obtained a temporary ID to enable her to get her child’s death certificate processed.

"I am not doing well. I’m not sure I will ever be fine after losing a child in that way," says Ngqiyi.

The fire started at 11pm in Ngqiyi’s three-room shack, which she shared with her four children, her grandson and niece.

The cause was an illegal connection. The power had gone off earlier in the evening and she had forgotten to switch off the plugs.

'I knew that was my son dying'

"By the time the electricity came back on we were sleeping and from the looks of things one plug burst behind the fridge in the kitchen," she says.

"We all ran outside and it was only then that we noticed that Lukho was not with us … The shack had two doors and we used the one that didn’t have a burglar bar. He went to the one that was locked.

"When we heard him cry we tried to break the burglar bar with other residents. Then suddenly he stopped, and we heard a loud noise after that. I knew that was my son dying," says Ngqiyi.

Ngqiyi is currently without work. Her last job was at a spaza shop making and selling amagwinya (vetkoek). The family depends solely on child grants at the moment.

"It is sad to see a child that young die before the parents, especially in that manner," says her brother, Bumbuluzana Pewu.

"We are thankful that not everyone died and that some lives were saved."

Ward Councillor Jongidumo Maxheke told GroundUp that their office was still trying to get help for the family.

"I understand the situation that the family is in and that they cannot afford to pay for the funeral, and I am trying to find help for them but nothing has come up so far."

Read more on:    cape town  |  fires

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.