Jason Rohde pays R1 million surety

2016-09-14 17:50
Jason Rohde in court. (Jenna Etheridge, News24)

Jason Rohde in court. (Jenna Etheridge, News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - Murder accused Jason Rohde has met his deadline to put up R1m immovable assets as surety as part of his bail conditions, his lawyer said on Wednesday.

Daniel Witz told News24 the businessman had complied in advance, and had received confirmation of his compliance today.

The real estate executive is accused of killing his wife Susan in their hotel room at the upmarket Spier Wine Estate on July 24.

He was released on bail of R100 000 in August, on condition that he provide a R1m surety guarantee by September 14.

The father of three said he found his wife dead in the bathroom of their room. The multimillionaire couple had been attending a conference.

Inquest docket

Initially thought to be a suicide, an inquest docket was opened until the post-mortem indicated foul play might have been involved.

Rohde, the CEO of Geffen International Realty Franchises, commissioned pathological and forensic reports after police opened a murder docket.

These suggested that Susan, 47, had committed suicide.

News24 previously reported that Rohde told Witz that he and his wife had woken up together that Sunday morning. According to him, she had gone into the bathroom and he fell asleep.

When he woke later to prepare for a breakfast talk he was to give at Sotheby's annual conference, he was unable to open the bathroom door, he said.

Hotel maintenance was called to help, and Susan was found hanged in the bathroom.

According to the pathologists, her time of death was 05:40 that morning.

Witz previously dismissed as irrelevant reports that the two had had an argument at the hotel's bar the night before. Susan allegedly publicly told Rohde she knew he was having an affair.

They got married in 1993 and have 16-year-old twin daughters and an 18-year-old daughter.

Rohde returns to the Stellenbosch Magistrate’s Court on September 23.

Read more on:    jason ­rohde  |  cape town  |  crime

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
ADVERTORIAL
Competition regulation for a growing and inclusive economy

ADVERTORIAL: The Competition Commission of South Africa is conducting advocacy work in the South African automotive aftermarket industry and has gazetted a Draft Code of Conduct for public comment.

/News
 

Man scores date with tennis superstar after Twitter bet

It’s a modern day Cinderella story, but one American man took ‘shoot your shot’ seriously in 2017.

 
 

You won't want to miss...

Who are the highest paid models of 2017?
10 gorgeous plus-sized models who aren't Ashley Graham
5 top leg exercises for men
10 best dressed men of 2017
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.