Job interview and exam derailed as fire guts flats

2017-06-14 13:45
Grade 12 pupil Noluthando Mlambo, who missed an exam after a fire broke out at the Marseille Flats in Hoosen Haffejee Street. INSET: Tenants of the flat that caught fire early on Tuesday morning at Marseille Flats in Hoosen Haffejee Street comfort each other while neighbours were evacuated by members of the Pietermaritzburg fire department.

Grade 12 pupil Noluthando Mlambo, who missed an exam after a fire broke out at the Marseille Flats in Hoosen Haffejee Street. INSET: Tenants of the flat that caught fire early on Tuesday morning at Marseille Flats in Hoosen Haffejee Street comfort each other while neighbours were evacuated by members of the Pietermaritzburg fire department. (Ian Carbutt)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Video

We are shocked - Quebec City residents on mosque shooting

2017-01-30 13:09

Six people died and eight were injured after gunmen opened fire at a Quebec City mosque on Sunday. The mosque had been a target of hate before. Despite this, Quebec residents were shocked by the incident. Watch. WATCH

Residents at the Marseille block of flats on Hoosen Haffejee (Berg) Street had to be evacuated after one of the flats caught fire on Tuesday morning.

Traffic backed up along Hoosen Haffejee Street as fire crews tried to extinguish the blaze.

At around 6 am the fire department and paramedics responded to a fire after they were alerted by residents. Two units on the third floor were completely gutted while the third unit had minimal damage.

One of the tenants who was in the unit where the fire started, Sthabile Dlamini, said they don’t know how it started.

“I was sleeping and when I woke up my room was filled with smoke. I tried to crawl and get outside and I saw flames coming from the nearest room. I didn’t see exactly what happened but they say the fire started in the lounge.”

Dlamini said they didn’t have any electrical appliances connected in the lounge.

“In the lounge there is only a TV and we always switch it off and take the plug out of the socket. We are all very confused. All my things were damaged, even my cellphone and ID book.

“I am just left with what I’m wearing right now. I had a job interview today but how will I go? I don’t even have clothes to wear,” she said.

Another tenant, Lihle Buthelezi from Empangeni, said she had moved into the unit two months ago.

“I always sleep with the lights on and when I smelt the smoke I thought it was my light bulb going off. But I realised that the whole house was engulfed with smoke and I started screaming and managed to run out.

“I stood in front of our flat and screamed and other residents came out. Luckily, the other lady who stays with us had already left with her nine-year-old son.”

Grade 12 pupil Noluthando Mlambo, who lives on the ground floor of the three-storey building, said she heard people screaming just after 6 am. She said the entire building was filled with thick smoke.

Noluthando said she had just woken up, preparing to revise for her life science exam.”

“I heard people screaming, ‘Fire, fire, fire’ … I then woke everyone in the house. We took with us a box containing our important documents such as our ID books and a few clothes. But fortunately, our floor was not affected by the fire.

“Unfortunately, I will miss the exam which I was supposed to write at 9 am as we are not allowed to return back to the building until it is declared safe for us,” she said.

Msunduzi fire department divisional officer Nkosinathi Mchunu said the fire crews saw flames billowing from the third floor.

“The first unit where the fire started was gutted and everything destroyed. The second one was also burnt. No person has been reported injured.”

The Msunduzi Disaster Management Unit who were also at the scene said they would do an inspection to see who required their assistance.

Read more on:    pietermaritzburg

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
ADVERTORIAL
Competition regulation for a growing and inclusive economy

ADVERTORIAL: The Competition Commission of South Africa is conducting advocacy work in the South African automotive aftermarket industry and has gazetted a Draft Code of Conduct for public comment.

/Africa
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.