JP Smith slams Cape Town police, says suspects were released without appearing in court

2019-03-29 17:26
JP Smith. (Peter Abrahams, Netwerk24)

JP Smith. (Peter Abrahams, Netwerk24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The City of Cape Town's mayoral committee member for safety and security, JP Smith, has slammed police for their handling of two cases in which suspects were allegedly released without appearing in court. 

Smith revealed on Wednesday that the Safety and Security Investigations Unit (SSIU) briefed him on the two cases which were handled at the Philippi police station.

The first involved a 29-year-old man who was wounded during a shootout with metro police officers in Hanover Park earlier this month. The second involved a suspect who had allegedly been found in possession of 118 tik straws and 40 units of heroin during a search of a property in the same area.

"These incidents demonstrate a flagrant disregard for public safety, but also negate the good work being done by the City's metro police department and other City enforcement services," said Smith.

Negligence

The incidents, according to Smith, "amount to negligence by the police station in question".

At the time, he said he would write to Western Cape police commissioner Lieutenant General Khombinkosi Jula to call for the Philippi police station, where the alleged suspects were held, to be investigated.

"The City will continue its representations to the Director of Public Prosecutions to have these cases re-enrolled. We are also considering approaching the Independent Police Investigative Directorate (IPID) and the Western Cape police ombudsman about the conduct of the SAPS (SA Police Service)."

Police spokesperson Brigadier Novela Potelwa said they would deal with the matter once the provincial commissioner's office received a letter from Smith. She would not be able to comment until then.

Second look

Potelwa also added that the provincial police's top brass structures would look at the manner in which the cases were handled.

Smith said there were sufficient grounds to warrant a second look at the cases, and added: "I suspect others too. We cannot allow members of the public to continue bearing the brunt of criminals for whom police custody is nothing more than a revolving door".

"Three weeks hence, there is no indication that anything has been done to remedy the situation that is entirely of SAPS's making," Smith further charged.

Read more on:    jp smith  |  cape town
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.