KFC drive-through assault accused to apply for bail

2017-11-27 13:50
Marius Harding.  (Netwerk24)

Marius Harding. (Netwerk24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Pretoria - Marius Harding, the only one of the so-called KFC assault accused still in custody, intends to apply to be released on bail.

His bid for bail comes after he was assaulted and robbed in custody at Kgosi Mampuru II prison.

READ: KFC attack accused allegedly assaulted, robbed in prison

Harding, and co-accused DJ van Rooyen, Stephan Nel, Joshua Schultz and Ockert Muller, are charged with allegedly assaulting a couple during the early hours of August 3 at a KFC drive-through in Montana, Pretoria.

The five accused have been charged with attempted murder, assault with the intent to cause grievous bodily harm and the unlawful pointing of a firearm.

Harding, who initially abandoned his bail application, is expected to apply for bail after his outstanding court cases have been finalised.

News24 previously reported that Harding was arrested in 2014 on charges of assault and crimen injuria for allegedly assaulting three petrol pump attendants and using racial slurs at a garage in Petrus Steyn, Free State.

He is also facing a charge of fraud in a separate case in KwaZulu-Natal.  

His previous attorney, Nols Nolte, told News24 that warrants of arrest in both cases had been cancelled and that Harding had been granted bail in both matters.

In a previous appearance, Nolte told the court that Harding had been assaulted on different occasions at the correctional facility and that his belongings had been stolen.

His father, Marius Harding Snr also told News24 on Monday that his son has since been transferred to a single cell. 

Van Rooyen, Nel and Schultz, who were initially denied bail by Magistrate Mothloki Rapulana, had the decision overturned by a High Court last month. 

North Gauteng High Court Acting Judge André Petersen overturned the lower court's decision and granted them bail of R5 000 each.

Muller was granted bail in August.

Rapulana transferred to the Regional Court, sitting at the Pretoria North Magistrate's Court, and postponed it to February 21, 2018.


Read more on:    kfc  |  pretoria  |  crime  |  racism  |  courts

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.