Kidnapped Pretoria businessman still missing after nearly 3 months

2017-10-22 12:00
Omar Carrim (Supplied to News24)

Omar Carrim (Supplied to News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - An elderly Pretoria businessman remains missing, months after he was kidnapped, an anti-crime activist said on Sunday.

"It’s Day 81 [Sunday] and Omar Carrim is still in captivity. We pray for his safe return," Yusuf Abramjee said.

The 76-year-old Carrim was kidnapped on August 3, shortly after leaving his business, Home Hyper City, in Pretoria, and while travelling home to Laudium.

"Carrim's car was found burned out near Erasmia the following morning," Abramjee said.

He said there had been an increase in cases of kidnapping over the last few years.

"It appears to be escalating," he said. "What is worrying is that these syndicates are becoming more daring and they are clearly sophisticated," he added.

He said that, in general, the syndicates appeared to target wealthy businessmen and then demanded enormous ransoms.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

- FOLLOW News24 on Twitter

Read more on:    pretoria  |  crime
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.