Kodwa, Mabe asked us if they could 'step aside' as spokespersons - ANC

2019-02-26 13:49
 (Thapelo Maphakela, Gallo Images, file)

(Thapelo Maphakela, Gallo Images, file)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

ANC secretary general Ace Magashule says it was Zizi Kodwa and Pule Mabe who each requested that they not fulfill their full responsibilities while they face separate claims of sexual violence.

On Tuesday morning, two national working committee (NWC) members told News24 that a decision had been taken for the pair to "step aside" from their roles as official spokespersons for the party.

Magashule said the party respected their decisions to step aside.

He said the NWC had noted the allegations and viewed them as serious.

He added the party stood against gender violence and would not tolerate violence against women perpetrated by members of the party.

Magashule said they were not judges and wanted to afford everybody involved the opportunity to respond.

READ: ANC tells Zizi Kodwa and Pule Mabe to 'step aside' amid sex allegations

On Saturday, ANC deputy secretary general Jessie Duarte confirmed that a woman had sent a rape complaint against a high-ranking official to the office of the secretary general. 

Duarte said the party had advised the woman to approach the police with her complaint.

"The advice we've given the complainant is that she needs to go to the criminal justice system with her complaint," Duarte said.

On Sunday, Kodwa denied the claims against him, saying they were "replete with false accusations".

He described it as a "dirty tricks campaign" aimed at "political blackmail and manipulation".

In December, Mabe's former personal assistant, Kgoerano Kekana, accused him of sexual harassment.

The matter was heard by a grievance panel and Mabe was subsequently cleared of all charges.

MUST READ: 'Suspension' is news to me, says ANC spokesperson Pule Mabe

Last week, Kekana released a statement saying she had rejected the panel's findings.

She said she would explore other avenues, including approaching the police and the CCMA, to have the matter dealt with effectively.

While the ANC said Mabe would return to work after he was cleared, both he and the party now say he is actually on extended leave and has requested to continue working for the party from home.

Read more on:    anc  |  zizi ko­dwa  |  pule mabe
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.