KZN Athletics in court bid to block opening of Msunduzi stadium

2018-09-19 09:35
The Pietermaritzburg athletics track.

The Pietermaritzburg athletics track.

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

KZN Athletics (KZNA) have approached the Pietermaritzburg high court to block the opening of the Msunduzi Athletics Stadium, which is scheduled for this Saturday.

Last month The Witness reported that KZNA president Sello Mokoena was threatening legal action against Msunduzi over the hosting of the Africa Athletics League (AAL) competition for the opening of the stadium. At the time he said there had been no proper consultation and the stadium had not been inspected to ensure that it met the sport’s health and safety standards.

On Tuesday Mokoena filed an urgent court application, on behalf of KZNA, seeking an interdict prohibiting Msunduzi from hosting the AAL. World Wide Scholarships (WWS) and the Confederation of African Athletics Southern Region Federation (CAA), who are the co-organisers of the AAL, are the second and third respondents in the matter.

In his affidavit, Mokoena alleged that WWS and CAA did not comply with the rules that regulate athletics in SA as Saturday’s opening was scheduled without KZNA’s involvement or authority.

He said Msunduzi and the co-organisers undermined KZNA, which had exclusive rights to administer athletics in the province.

He said he found out about the AAL through the media and all attempts to engage the parties since had failed.

To host an international competition such as the AAL, an IAAF permit was required, he said. For such permit to be granted, the host must comply with various regulations, including ensuring that the stadium was safe and well-resourced to accommodate the needs of the event.

This would include an inspection and trial run, which Mokoena said KZNA had never administered, and as far as he knew Msunduzi and the co-organisers of the event had not obtained the IAAF permit.

Mokoena also alleged that construction work on the stadium had not been completed, which could pose a safety risk to athletes and the public.

The case will be argued on Thursday.

Read more on:    pietermaritzburg

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.