Durban - A 5-month-old boy who was left unattended, died in a shack fire in KwaMashu on Sunday, KwaZulu-Natal Social Development MEC Weziwe Thusi said on Wednesday.Thusi said the child's mother was reportedly out running errands and his father was visiting friends when the shack caught fire."I am upset that a child has died in such a horrible manner, but I am also angry that in 2016 there are parents who see nothing wrong with leaving an infant alone."We have been preaching child protection for years and that children cannot be left alone for a split second, but clearly our messages did not reach this family and that is why we are talking about this tragedy today."She urged parents and caregivers to take responsibility for looking after children very seriously."I have asked our social workers to visit the family and offer assistance. I am hoping that this will be the last time that I send social workers to attend to anything similar to this."