Lawyer denied access to murder-accused Spanish dentist’s docket

2017-07-26 22:33
Mario-César Deus Yela (Facebook)

Mario-César Deus Yela (Facebook)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town – The lawyer representing a Spanish national accused of killing his twins during a holiday in Cape Town has been denied access to the State’s docket.

Attorney William Booth, for Mario-César Deus Yela, said on Wednesday that the Wynberg Magistrate’s Court refused to let him see the complete docket as the investigation had still not been completed.

He had asked for access to it in order to adequately prepare witnesses for the trial. Instead, he was only given a brief summary of the evidence.

Yela, 49, is accused of killing his three-year-old twins, Maximo and Octavia, in a rented holiday home in Hout Bay on April 6.

The court previously heard that he sent a message to his ex-wife, Julia Engelhorn, asking her to come over for lunch. When she arrived, he allegedly told her he had killed the twins.

"She got up, went into the bedroom and discovered the twins. The third child was still at school. He had a knife in his possession. He then threatened to kill her," prosecutor Benito Adonis said at the time.

She apparently managed to escape and tried to alert a security guard at the estate.

Yela is expected back in court for a formal bail application on August 8.

Read more on:    cape town  |  crime
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.