Life Esidimeni death toll now sits at 141

2017-10-13 11:19
The healing session for the families of the Life Esidimeni patients who died last year (Mpho Raborife, News24)

The healing session for the families of the Life Esidimeni patients who died last year (Mpho Raborife, News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Video

WATCH LIVE: Life Esidimeni arbitration hearing, day 6

2017-10-13 11:06

The director-general in the Gauteng premier's office said she did not know what officials wanted to achieve by pushing through the "inhumane" decision to move mentally ill patients from Life Esidimeni to unlicensed NGOs. Watch as the hearing continues. WATCH

Johannesburg – The number of patients who have died following the Gauteng health department’s decision to move Life Esidimeni patients to a number of unlicensed NGOs has risen to 141.

This was according to Dr Ernest Kenoshi, the acting head of the Gauteng health department, who was testifying at the alternative dispute resolution hearing in Johannesburg on Friday.

"We do keep record of them, and those are the deaths we have record of," he said.

"It hasn’t been easy [keeping record]," Kenoshi said.

On Thursday, Malebona Precious Matsoso, director general of the national health department, told the hearing that there were still 59 patients unaccounted for, while their Sassa grants were still being withdrawn.

Read more on:    life esidimeni  |  johannesburg  |  health
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.