AS IT HAPPENED: 'Mistakes' over time of death in Rohde case

2017-10-19 09:30

The Western Cape High Court has adjourned after murder accused Jason Rohde’s counsel, Graham van der Spuy, told the court how Dr Akmal Coetzee-Khan had allegedly made mistakes during forensic investigations.

LIVE NEWS FEED

Jump to
bottom

Last Updated at 16:19
19 Oct 16:00
Matter postponed until Tuesday

19 Oct 16:00
Graham asks that the matter be postponed until next Tuesday 

19 Oct 15:45
Graham: we have noticed up to five mistakes in Khan's methodology. Factors such as room temperature, body mass index not taken into account.

19 Oct 15:44
Khan said there is a 95% probability that she passed away at 05:40 with a 5% chance it falls outside of that time.

19 Oct 15:41
Khan: I should've provided the whole range from 02:00 until 08:00, and not provided the mean time

19 Oct 15:38
Graham: All 50 of your forensic cases have been done wrong - all 50

19 Oct 15:36
Graham: experts say that the remedy is to avoid the use of mean values in the time of forensic work 

19 Oct 15:34
Khan: I would agree that my evidence relating to the time of death is incorrect

19 Oct 15:33
Graham: do you understand in how many times you have made this mistake? Do you understand the consequences

19 Oct 15:33
Graham makes a point about a mistake about the death occurring at 5:40 with a 95% accuracy

19 Oct 15:32
Graham: Do you, Khan, understand that you are wrong? Khan says he understands that he might have.

19 Oct 15:32
Graham questions Khan's forensic report. Khan refuses to answer a question relating to cause of death

19 Oct 15:11

19 Oct 15:09

19 Oct 14:42

19 Oct 14:42

19 Oct 14:36
VD Spuy justifies line of questioning saying that pathologist strongly suspected foul play, but Rohde had no material injuries.

19 Oct 14:35
VD Spuy says that somebody who is being strangled will fight back, but Jason #Rohde had no injuries. "of significance".

19 Oct 14:35

19 Oct 14:34

19 Oct 14:34
Extract from Susan Rohde's mom, Diane Holmes' affidavit on how she her daughter got inner thigh bruise (Jenni Evans, News24)

19 Oct 14:33
Extract from Susan Rohde's mom, Diane Holmes' affidavit on how she her daughter got inner thigh bruise (Jenni Evans, News24)

19 Oct 14:26

19 Oct 13:03

19 Oct 12:45

19 Oct 12:40

19 Oct 12:33
Susan Rohde's core temperature was taken from her ear (28.8). Pathologist said he was told not to do a rectal temperature becuase of possible assault.

19 Oct 12:32

19 Oct 12:31

19 Oct 12:11

19 Oct 12:11

19 Oct 12:05

19 Oct 11:55

19 Oct 11:54
We're back again after the court tea break. Defence's Van der Spuy still grilling Western Cape government pathologist Akmal Coetzee-Khan.

19 Oct 11:14

19 Oct 11:13
On Wednesday, Advocate Graham Van der Spuy held up middle finger at pathologist Coetzee-Khan as they discussed that it starts in small joints and jaw.

19 Oct 11:12

19 Oct 11:01

19 Oct 11:00
The defence is trying to tear down Coetzee-Khan's autopsy - wants to know why no histopathology (biopsies) was done. 

19 Oct 10:58
State witness Dr Akmal Coetzee-Khan previously suggested that Susan Rohde may have been a victim of "battered woman syndrome".

19 Oct 10:47

19 Oct 10:43

19 Oct 10:39

Susan Rohde bruised so easily that, when she was younger, she was investigated for leukemia, which was negative.

Defence challenging abuse theory. 


19 Oct 10:37

19 Oct 10:37

19 Oct 10:37
Pathologist says possible that injury could be from handstand. But in BWS (battered woman syndrome) they don't often say what really happened.

19 Oct 10:35
Susan Rohde's mom said she had family condition of thin skin which bruised easily.

19 Oct 10:35

19 Oct 10:35

19 Oct 10:27

Jump to
top

SHARE:

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.