I will especially strive to help more women to achieve their professional goals, writes new US ambassador to SA Lana Marks.
Lauren Hess, News24
President Jacob Zuma has announced that the arms deal commission of inquiry has found no evidence of wrongdoing in the deal.
And just after Zuma's "the arms deal was all above board" announcement, his bodyguards threatened News24 reporter Jenni Evans.
Evans said one of the guards physically tried to block her from taking a photo of Zuma's motorcade and threatened to arrest her. "I said be my guest but read your standing orders before you do so," Evans said.
Another guard told her if she "had any respect you won't take this photo".
Evans was also told that she was a risk and "I will take you away from here. Do you want me to take you away from here?"
As this was happening, Evans said members of Zuma's motorcade shouted to their colleagues that they should take her phone.
The photo below is of the guard trying to block our reporter from taking the photo.
I am wondering what @andrewfeinstein is thinking right now if he is listening to President Zuma tell SA the arms deal was a roaring success— Rebecca Davis (@becsplanb) April 21, 2016
I am wondering what @andrewfeinstein is thinking right now if he is listening to President Zuma tell SA the arms deal was a roaring success
Govt was of the view that any findings of wrongdoing should be given to law enforcement agencies for investigation. No such finding was made.
So again, that is that. It's all good. Really.
#armsdeal recommendation: no point in pursuing criminal charges -- against anyone, at all, ever. pic.twitter.com/arir7jXiFD— Phillip de Wet (@phillipdewet) April 21, 2016
#armsdeal recommendation: no point in pursuing criminal charges -- against anyone, at all, ever. pic.twitter.com/arir7jXiFD
The commission concluded its inquiry in four full years, exceeding the two years to do its work, says President Zuma.
Key witnesses included former president Thabo Mbeki and ministers in his Cabinet.
Seems @jsteenhuisen knew about the #armsdeal report release before ANC leaders — because he happened to walk past Tuynhuys this AM.— Phillip de Wet (@phillipdewet) April 21, 2016
Seems @jsteenhuisen knew about the #armsdeal report release before ANC leaders — because he happened to walk past Tuynhuys this AM.
The arms deal saga has been plaguing our democracy for a very long time and started in 1999 when Patricia de Lille, now DA mayor of Cape
Town but then a Pan Africanist Congress MP, told Parliament the multi-billion
rand arms deal could be suspect.
Then in November 2002, the Mail & Guardian reported that Jacob
Zuma was being investigated (Zuma was not president yet).
A year later, former National Director of Public
Prosecutions Bulelani Ngcuka says there is a prima facie case against Zuma, but
it can't be won.
Two years later, then president Thabo Mbeki "released" Zuma from his position as deputy president after Zuma's Schabir Shaik, was
found guilty on two counts of fraud and one of corruption.
What happened next?
President Jacob Zuma to release the Arms Procurement Report. https://t.co/X5jI9h0zT9— PresidencyZA (@PresidencyZA) April 21, 2016
President Jacob Zuma to release the Arms Procurement Report. https://t.co/X5jI9h0zT9
Almost four months after receiving the final report, President Jacob Zuma will announce at 10:30 the findings of the commission of inquiry into the arms deal.
"The commission completed its public hearings and other processes in
June 2015 and commenced with the report writing phase which was
completed in December 2015 as per the terms of reference of the
commission, thus submitting the report to the President a day before the
"President Zuma expressed his gratitude to Judge Seriti
and all members of the commission for the work done that ensured the
successful conclusion of the work of the commission," a statement
from the presidency in December last year read.
Zuma appointed the commission in September 2011, after the Western
Cape High Court in Cape Town was asked in 2009 to appoint an independent
judicial inquiry into alleged corruption related to the arms deal.
The commission began its hearings in August 2013.
arms deal saw government acquiring, among other items, 26 Gripen
fighter aircraft, 24 Hawk lead-in fighter trainer aircraft for the SA
Air Force and frigates and submarines for the SA Navy.
Channel big bag energy this Black Friday.
Mitsubishi's new Mirage will once again be making its way to SA.
'This is going to change the face of Durban.'
Here's where you can shop similar cleavage hacks.
Are you ready to do what it takes?
Queen Elizabeth is quite fond of it though.
Datsun now has an automatic GO model in its local line-up.
5 local women share their experiences
Cape TownE-Merge IT RecruitmentR899 000.00 - R900 000.00 Per Year
ConstantiaPeoplefinder Career Placements
Cape TownProServ South Africa
Apartments / Flats
R 11 500
Apartments / Flats
R 8 400
R 1 260 000
We subscribe to the Press Code.
You choose what you want
News24 on Android
Get the latest from News24 on your Android device.
Terms and Conditions
24.com Terms and Conditions - Updated April 2012
Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.
This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.