Magistrate begs accused to disclose information about missing Durban boy

2018-08-07 14:57
Magistrate's Court. (Duncan Alfreds, News24, file)

Magistrate's Court. (Duncan Alfreds, News24, file)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

A Durban magistrate has appealed to an alleged human trafficker to disclose any information that may lead to the whereabouts of a 10-year-old boy, who has been missing for several weeks.

In highly-charged proceedings on Tuesday, Magistrate Mahomed Motala appealed to the man "for the sake of the child and the people affected".

"If you know the whereabouts of this child, I appeal to you to let the authorities know. For the sake of the child and the people that are affected by this, please ... I appeal to you to bring it to the attention of the authorities," Motala told the accused.

ALSO READ: Durban family desperately looking for answers over missing 10-year-old boy: 'No one is eating, no one is sleeping'

He was talking to the man accused in connection with the disappearance of Sydenham boy, Miguel Louw. The accused cannot be named, the court previously ruled.

Motala said that while it was not for him to decide whether the accused knew the whereabouts of the boy, there was "interest in this case".

He went on to criticise the State for taking too long to finalise their case after the accused claimed he was assaulted in custody. Motala said the State "had opportunities to do whatever they need to".

"[The accused] is complaining his rights are being violated and assaulted. There is a young boy missing, but we cannot compromise the constitutional rights of the accused."

'This is not fair'

While proceedings were in session, swear words and curses were directed at the accused. As he was taken away, Miguel's mother Raylene spat at him and appealed to him to return her son.

During a previous court appearance, the outraged mother swore at the accused and demanded the return of her son.

Motala postponed the matter to August 29 for a formal bail application.

Responding to this, the accused nodded his head and said: "This is not fair."

ALSO WATCH: Mother of missing Durban boy, 10, lashes out at accuse

Inside and outside the Durban Magistrate's Court, the community of Sydenham came out to show their support.

Speaking to the media, Miguel's aunt Tashnim De Santos said the community and family were still searching tirelessly for the young boy. She said the accused was bold to claim he had rights.

"I cannot believe he thinks it is okay for him to take our child and then in the docks, say he has rights."

Little Miguel has been missing since July 17. He was allegedly last seen in the company of the accused.

Read more on:    durban  |  crime

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.