Maimane to Life Esidimeni families: 'It was not our intention to hurt you'

2019-01-24 19:26
DA leader Mmusi Maimane unveiled a billboard listing the names of those who died at Marikana, in the Life Esidimeni tragedy and the children who drowned after falling into pit latrines.

DA leader Mmusi Maimane unveiled a billboard listing the names of those who died at Marikana, in the Life Esidimeni tragedy and the children who drowned after falling into pit latrines.

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

DA leader Mmusi Maimane says the political party will not rest until there is justice for the families of Life Esidimeni victims.

"What took place [with] Life Esidimeni was a stain on the conscience of the South African government.

"None of us would have thought that such an act would have been committed in our democratic country," Maimane said on Thursday.

About 144 psychiatric patients died when the health department moved 1 700 people from Life Esidimeni to ill-equipped NGOs and state facilities. This occurred under the auspices of former Gauteng Health MEC Qedani Mahlangu.

Maimane's sentiments were shared at a Remember Esidimeni service outside Premier David Makhura's office in Mary Fitzgerald Square, Johannesburg.

WATCH: Angry Life Esidimeni victims' relatives tear down DA billboard

His comments came after there was outrage about a DA billboard ahead of the elections, which listed the names of several victims of tragedies in South Africa, including the one involving Life Esidimeni. Angry family members damaged the billboard, who said that the DA did not have their consent to use the names.

But Maimane apologised for the billboard and said the intention was never to hurt the families.

"I know that the decision opened up their wounds.

"I have spoken to these families and I want to say as a leader, that it was not our intention to hurt you and for that, I truly apologise," he said.

To date, 21 Life Esidimeni patients are still missing.

"One hundred and forty-four people have been recorded so far, but what is most painful is that we do not know the real number. The Gauteng provincial government must account.

"I want to assure Makhura and the ANC that you are not going to intimidate us. We will fight for these families."

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

- FOLLOW News24 on Twitter

Read more on:    life esidimeni  |  da  |  mmusi maimane
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.