Mantashe: I didn't give the go ahead on Xolobeni

2018-09-26 18:19
Community members at Sunday’s meeting in Xolobeni. (Supplied)

Community members at Sunday’s meeting in Xolobeni. (Supplied)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Mineral Resources Minister Gwede Mantashe has distanced himself from statements by Australian company Mineral Commodities (MRC) that the government is sympathetic to its mineral sand mine in Xolobeni in the Eastern Cape, GroundUp reports.

Despite the Department of Mineral Resources' proposal of a 24-month moratorium on mining in the area, the Amadiba Crisis Committee (ACC), which is opposed to the mine, says it has "reliable information" that Mantashe has already promised to renew the mining licence. This is in spite of strong opposition.

The committee revealed that MRC had told investors that "the new South African government leadership is pro development of project". MRC, which is listed on the Australian stock exchange, made this claim in a presentation to investors on August 24.

But in response to questions from GroundUp, the Department of Mineral Resources said: "The department cannot infer why the company would indicate as such in its investor reports."

The department confirmed that Mantashe had met MRC in Australia, but said: "Minister Mantashe met with the company as well as other Australian companies active in South Africa, as part of efforts to engage with the investment community to promote investment in South Africa's mining sector, in line with the Department's mandate."

Mantashe held a meeting in Xolobeni on September 23 after an invitation from the ACC.

Minister now has 'first-hand knowledge' of issues

The ACC said 400 to 500 people had been bused in to support the mine and opponents had been removed from the meeting by police using teargas and stun grenades. It said 100 riot police had been present. When ACC's attorney Richard Spoor asked Mantashe to intervene, the committee said, he was "attacked with bottles and chairs". It said ACC spokesperson Nonhle Mbuthuma had been pushed to the ground by five police officers and teargassed.

Spoor was arrested and appeared in the Bizana Magistrate's Court on September 25 on charges of incitement to violence, assault of a police officer and refusing a lawful order. The matter was adjourned to October 25.

The ACC said Mantashe had not spoken to any of its leaders or to any community member opposed to mining.

Asked to comment, the Department of Mineral Resources told GroundUp: "All parties present were given an opportunity to present their views either for or against mining, including a representative from the Amadiba Crisis Committee. It's unfortunate that a small group of people were instigated to disrupt and suppress discussions, but the meeting proceeded as planned.

"Following this visit the minister now has first-hand knowledge and understanding of the issues in Xolobeni and will be able to take a more informed decision moving forward, on the moratorium as well as on other matters pertaining to Xolobeni."

In a statement on Monday, Amnesty International condemned the "excessive use of force" by the police in Xolobeni. Executive director Shenilla Mohamed said Amnesty had received "witness testimonies, video footage and photos" indicating that the South African Police Service (SAPS) had used teargas, stun grenades "and death threats" to disperse protesters.

Concern from royal family

"It is unacceptable that the SAPS resorted to violence and threats to disperse peaceful protesters. The police must remember that community members have the right to peaceful assembly. We must not forget the tragedy that happened in Marikana in 2012, and the repercussions it has had for that community and beyond."

Mohamed called for an investigation and for the SAPS to drop all charges against Spoor.

In a statement on Tuesday, the Royal Family of AmaMpondo ase Qaukeni also expressed concern about Spoor's arrest. Queen Regent Lombekiso Sigcau said the arrest had taken place during "what was supposed to have been a peace-building consultation between Minister Mantashe and the local residents of Xolobeni who are directly affected by plans by an Australian mining company MRC Ltd to mine their ancestral lands for heavy mineral deposits".

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

- FOLLOW News24 on Twitter

Read more on:    gwede mantashe  |  port elizabeth  |  mining

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.