WATCH: Mothers attack each other in court

2016-03-22 12:53
Family members trying to stop the fight. (Iavan Pijoos, News24)

Family members trying to stop the fight. (Iavan Pijoos, News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - Two mothers attacked each other in the Palm Ridge Magistrate's Court on Tuesday, following the appearance of two boys accused of killing three of the one woman's relatives in Katlehong.

One family member said the altercation started after the mother of one of the accused was told that had she started a feud between her family and that of the victims.

"She is the one causing the drama. A mother isn't supposed to be acting like that," said one woman, who did not want to be named.


The State requested a postponement in order to receive the indictment. This did not sit well with the mother of one of the accused and she started attacking the victims' mother, Thembi Letsoalo.

She pushed Letsoalo in the passage outside the courtroom. Their relatives tried to stop the fight. Once they were outside the court, the argument continued and Letsoalo threw water from a two-litre Coke bottle at the other woman.

Walking out of court with other family members, Letsoalo found it difficult to hold back her tears.

"I am not happy anymore, these things are upsetting me. My children are killed and she's fighting with me while her son is still alive," Letsoalo said.

Two of Letsoalo’s daughters, her niece, and six-month-old granddaughter were attacked - allegedly by two boys aged 17 and 21 - in her Katlehong home, on the East Rand, in December.

The two allegedly stabbed them and put them in a bathtub filled with boiling water. They may not be named as one of them is a minor and they are related.

One of the daughters, Nthabiseng Letsoalo, 23, survived. Her sister Lerato Letsoalo, 18, cousin Priska Movit, 23, and Movit’s six-month-old baby girl Bokamoso Movit, were killed.

Investigation completed

On Tuesday, the State said the DNA results were available and the investigation had been completed. The tests were conducted on the bloodied clothing that the two accused allegedly wore on the day of the crime, as well as the knife used in the attack.

The two would be back in court on April 5. Both would stay in police custody. The minor was in a correctional centre for children in Soshanguve.

Letsoalo told News24 at the last court appearance that as long as the two boys were behind bars, the family felt safe.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.