Murder accused wants criminal history of victim, family

2016-07-28 21:16

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - Concert promoter and murder accused David Forbes has requested the criminal history of slain Toufiq Joseph and his parents, reportedly to prove that he had reason to be concerned for his safety.

Forbes, 48, appeared in the Cape Town Regional Court on Thursday on a charge of murder after he shot Joseph, 23, at the Engen petrol station in Orange Street, Cape Town, in January last year.

He then waited at the petrol station for police to arrive.

Forbes, who is out on R20 000 bail, claimed Joseph threatened him and that he shot him in self-defence. He has pleaded not guilty to murder.

Following the defence’s request for the criminal profiles of Joseph, his parents and brothers, the State countered that providing such information was not relevant.

The matter was postponed to September 5 for arguments.

Joseph’s father Ebrahiem last year told News24 that Forbes “took my joy away from me and he doesn’t even look sorry about it”.

Initial reports indicated the sale of tickets to a music festival may be at the heart of the killing. Forbes was apparently one of the event organisers, while Joseph allegedly sold tickets to the event.

Ebrahiem insisted his son did not know Forbes and that “this white larney” had phoned Toufiq three times and told him to meet him at the petrol station that day.

 

NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 

Matric Results are coming soon!

Notify me when results become available

/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.