MyCiTi bus drivers released on bail

2018-10-24 16:55
MyCiTi workers protest outside the Civic Centre during an unprotected strike that started last week. (Photo: Ashraf Hendricks)

MyCiTi workers protest outside the Civic Centre during an unprotected strike that started last week. (Photo: Ashraf Hendricks)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Five arrested striking MyCiTi bus drivers were charged with public violence and released on R1 000 bail each on Wednesday in the Cape Town Magistrate's Court, GroundUp reported.

Patrick Mabindisa, Luzuko Memani, Simthembile Stephens, Tembela Mahlatshana and Baxolele Mtengi appeared before Magistrate MAF Mafanga. She postponed the matter to November 9 for further investigation.

They were arrested on Tuesday for defying a court order.

Their lawyer pleaded with the court to reduce the bail amount to R500, stating that they could not afford it.

"All of them are dependent on their spouses," she said.

Mafanga said R1 000 was reasonable considering that the bail had been initially set at R2 000 by the court.

A large group of MyCiTi strikers gathered outside the Cape Town Civic Centre, while another group attended the court hearing.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

- FOLLOW News24 on Twitter

Read more on:    myciti  |  cape town
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.