Ndobe: Shock at withdrawal of charges

2019-03-26 16:07
Harry Gwala Municipality Mayor Mluleki Ndobe addresses his supporters outside uMzimkhulu Magistrate’s Court shortly after murder charges against him were withdrawn.

Harry Gwala Municipality Mayor Mluleki Ndobe addresses his supporters outside uMzimkhulu Magistrate’s Court shortly after murder charges against him were withdrawn.

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The family and friends of slain former ANC Youth League (ANCYL) secretary-general Sindiso Magaqa reacted with shock at Monday’s withdrawal of murder charges against Harry Gwala Municipality Mayor Mluleki Ndobe.

“It is the least of things we had anticipated — the decision left us confused and as a family we strongly hope that justice will still prevail,” Magaqa’s brother, Lwazi, said.

This after prosecutors, citing insufficient evidence, provisionally withdrew murder and attempted murder charges against Ndobe and Harry Gwala Municipal manager Zweliphansi Skhosana.

The pair were among the five people, including Sbonelo Myeza and Mbulelo Mpofana, who had been arrested in connection with the 2017 murder of Magaqa — who died of gunshot wounds in hospital after being ambushed and shot in a parking lot in uMzimkhulu­.

Ndobe, who had been in custody since his arrest a week ago, was in court for a bail application but state prosecutor Sohana Moodley told the court the bail application of the mayor and Skhosana would no longer be proceeding as the state had resolved to provisionally withdraw charges against the pair. “There are facts that need to be verified,” Moodley said.

Moodley’s announcement was met with a stunned silence from the packed public gallery, where relatives of both Ndobe and Magaqa were seated. 

Ndobe, who did not show any emotion when Moodley announced the state’s decision, later told the media and scores of his supporters gathered outside court that while he was happy about his release, he was angry about his arrest.

“It is not a child’s play to be put in hell for eight days, my name has been tarnished for the wrong reasons.

“While the court has cleared our names, we have been judged in the court of public opinion,” he said.

Supporters of Harry Gwala Municipality Mayor Mluleki Ndobe celebrated outside uMzimkhulu Magistrate’s Court after murder charges against him were provisionally withdrawn.

Ndobe ‘happy with release, but angry over arrest’

Ndobe, who received a hero’s welcome from his supporters outside the court, was arrested by members of the political killings task team established by President Cyril Ramaphosa last year.

Comprising investigators drawn from the Hawks, State Security Agency (SSA) police intelligence and the NPA, the task time has so far arrested several individuals — mostly ANC members — in connection with political murders and corruption that had been going on in the province in recent years.

High profile figures nabbed by the task team in recent months include:

• Newcastle Municipality Mayor Ntuthuko Mhlaba, who is still in custody for the murder of ANCYL Emalahleni leader Wandile Ngobeni.

• uMgungudlovu District Municipality Deputy Mayor Fucwana Zungu, who was briefly detained by the task team for corruption late last year but released a few hours after her arrest.

• ANC Msunduzi Municipality councillor Nkosinathi Gambu, who is currently in custody following his arrest in connection with the murder of ANC Pietermaritzburg activist Musawenkosi Mchunu, who was gunned down at his home in kwaPata.

While Ndobe’s supporters celebrated his release, uMzimkhulu Local Municipality councillor Nontsikelelo Maba, who was in the car with Magaqa when the former ANCYL leader was shot, said he was taken aback by the state’s decision.

“Honestly speaking, I was not expecting this — I really don’t know what to say,” she said.

Mafa, who was injured during the shooting, still struggles to walk due to the injuries she sustained.

Ndobe, who is currently an ANC provincial executive committee (PEC) member, is third on the party’s provincial list for the May 8 elections.

The bail application for the remaining three accused will proceed in the same court on Tuesday.


Read more on:    mluleki ndobe  |  pietermaritzburg  |  sindiso magaqa
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.