Panayiotou's leave to appeal application dismissed

2018-05-17 10:09
Christopher Panayiotou, along with his co-accused. (Derrick Spies, News24)

Christopher Panayiotou, along with his co-accused. (Derrick Spies, News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Christopher Panayiotou's application for leave to appeal his conviction was dismissed in the Eastern Cape High Court in Port Elizabeth on Thursday.

Panayiotou was found guilty of murder in November last year and was sentenced to life for orchestrating the killing of his wife, Jayde.

His co-accused, Sinethemba Nenembe and Zolani Sibeko, were also sentenced in the same court in 2017.

Read: Panayiotou case: Judge overlooked vital evidence, defence lawyer argues

Nenembe was sentenced to life for murder and 15 years for robbery. Sibeko, who was found guilty of conspiracy to commit murder, was sentenced to 15 years in prison.

Judge Dayalin Chetty said the test for leave to appeal was whether there was a reasonable prospect of success.

He said while the procedural grounds to appeal were clearly set out, Panayiotou's application was "not a model of clarity and offends against the spirit and purport of section 316 of the criminal procedures act."

Chetty said the application was an amalgam of "inane ad vituperative [bitter and abusive] comment, and is moreover interspersed with belligerent innuendo."

Chetty said ordinarily the application would have been struck off the roll, but this would have merely delayed the inevitable.

Chetty said Panayiotou's defence attorney, advocate Terry Price, SC, had advanced arguments that circumvented the facts that had underpinned the conviction and established beyond reasonable doubt that Panayiotou had orchestrated Jayde's murder.

Chetty said the judgement, on the other hand, had documented the full extent of the plan Panayiotou and self-confessed middleman, Luthando Siyoni had devised.

"The attack against the judgement had to avoid crucial findings ad focus instead on a plethora of disingenuous suppositions, the real victim, Jayde, being supplanted by other would be victims in the personage of the first applicant, Siyoni and [Babalwa] Breakfast."

"As I emphasized in my judgement, the only victim is Jayde," he said.

Chetty said Price's arguments were, in his opinion, entirely without merit and dismissed the application.

He also dismissed the applications brought by Nenembe and Sibeko, saying their application had been a regurgitation of the submissions advanced during the trial and which had been fully addressed in his judgement.

Following the court proceedings, Price indicated that they would be petitioning the supreme court of appeal in Bloemfontein.

Read more on:    jayde panayiotou  |  christopher panayiotou  |  port elizabeth  |  crime  |  court

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.