Parliamentary committee's displeasure 'not enough to remove me' - Mkhwebane

2018-08-22 13:36
Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane. (Antonio Muchave, Gallo Images, Sowetan, file)

Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane. (Antonio Muchave, Gallo Images, Sowetan, file)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane has come out strongly in defence of her tenure, amid calls by the Democratic Alliance to hold an inquiry into her fitness to hold office.

Mkhwebane was invited to the Portfolio Committee on Justice and Correctional Services on Wednesday to continue the discussions around whether to approve the DA's request to hold a full-blown inquiry.

The opposition party wants to probe Mkhwebane's decisions in office since being appointed in 2016, which it says have been "incompetent", one of the three criteria in which the fitness of the Public Protector can be tested by law.

READ: Audit watchdog chair fights Public Protector

The other two are serious misconduct, or incapacity.

Mkhwebane was not present at the meeting on Wednesday, but sent a 25-page written response to DA chief whip John Steenhuisen's request for an inquiry.

"Despite the fact that fitness to hold office is not a ground for removal of the Public Protector, as alleged in the letter of Mr Steenhuisen, this committee must go beyond proving displeasure with my performance.

"The ground relied upon in the letter of Mr Steenhuisen is incompetence. 'Incompetence' means that the employee is incapable of performing the job, or the employee is possibly capable of doing so, but consistently failing to meet a reasonable standard of performance.

"This committee's displeasure at my performance is not enough to warrant removal."

READ: Public Protector wilts as SANDF, minister stick to guns

Certain MPs 'must recuse themselves'

Mkhwebane said that, upon the very public participation process to elect her in August 2016, 60% of the National Assembly approved of and "showed confidence" in her abilities.

The committee therefore needed to judge the level of the job performance required; the standard that was communicated to her; the suitable instruction that was given to her; whether she was unwilling or incapable of meeting the standard; and whether she was warned that failure would result in removal.

"For this committee to start the removal process, there must be some serious misconduct or substantial incompetence and the onus of proving just cause rests with Mr Steenhuisen, who has dismally failed to discharge that onus or any of the objective standards listed above."

READ: DA caucus says Public Protector’s report on Zille must go to 'another post box'

MPs therefore needed to clarify the "threshold" for incompetence to apply, and whether the employee in question had been warned enough.

In addition, she alleged that some MPs - who she didn't name - had been hostile toward her and wants them to recuse themselves.

She also argued that the committee's procedure had been "Constitutionally infirm", citing some of the matters cited by Steenhuisen, such as the setting aside of her controversial ABSA/Bankorp bailout report, the costs of which is still to be heard by the Supreme Court of Appeal.

The committee had also already "infringed" on the National Assembly's rules and her independence, and the hostility showed toward her made her appearance an exercise in futility, she said.

MPs unhappy with timing

Opposition MPs, notably ACDP MP Steve Swart and DA MP Glynnis Breytenbach, raised their displeasure at only being given the 25-page document at 23:00 on Tuesday evening, when the letter was dated July 5.

Committee chairperson Mathole Motshekga apologised on the behalf of the committee secretariat, but said that the secretariat had also had a busy schedule during the recess period.

He also could not do anything about their "lamentations", and proposed they suggest a way forward, much to the annoyance of Breytenbach.

All MPs, with the exception of the EFF, agreed that the matter should be postponed until next week so that they could consider the document.

The EFF said they did not need more time, and the contents of Mkhwebane's document showed she "was not fit to hold office".

Motshekga also said it was not necessary for Mkhwebane to appear, as her written responses were enough.

The committee will meet again next week to debate Mkhwebane's response.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

- FOLLOW News24 on Twitter

Read more on:    public protector  |  da  |  acdp  |  busi­siwe mkhwebane  |  parliament 2018  |  politics

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.