PICS | Mamelodi flood victims protest at Gauteng SOPA, saying Premier Makhura broke his promise to relocate them

2020-02-25 12:11
Mamelodi flood victims protest outside the Gauteng SOPA.

Mamelodi flood victims protest outside the Gauteng SOPA. (Alex Mitchley, News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Around 100 Mamelodi residents, who were displaced by floods in December, have demanded that Gauteng Premier David Makhura consider them during his State of the Province Address (SOPA), as they wait to be relocated. 

Protesting outside of the Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University in Ga-Rankuwa ahead of SOPA on Tuesday, residents from the Eerste Fabriek informal settlement in Mamelodi held up placards calling Makhura a liar.

READ | Gauteng floods: One person dead, another missing

Community leader Thulani Ndlovu said that, in December, Makhura had visited the flood victims who had taken shelter at the Mamelodi Methodist Church, promising them that they would be resettled elsewhere. 

This promise had not been fulfilled, Ndlovu said. 

"We are here to let the world know that David Makhura made a promise to the people and that he must account," Ndlovu said. 

"In the SOPA address, he must think of us. It's a shame for government, they made a promise, 79 days later, nothing has happened."  

Promise to resettle

READ | Mamelodi informal settlement residents hit by floods will be relocated - Makhura

The protesters said that they had not been able to carry on with their lives, as they continue to live in the overcrowded church and a nearby community hall. 

News24 previously reported that Makhura had said a committee had been established to look at relocating those living in the informal settlement, which was destroyed by floods at the beginning of December.

"We will not rest until we have resettled the people in appropriate places, but one of the key things includes urging the people not to go back to where people have built on flood plains," he said at the time. 

Eerste Fabriek is one such settlement that was built along the banks of a river that flows through Mamelodi.

There has always been a danger of flooding in that location as a result of the informal settlement being built along a flood plain.

On December 9, 2019, floods destroyed more than 700 shacks in Eerste Fabriek and displaced about 1 300 people. 

News24 reported that a number of people also had to be rescued after they were trapped inside the informal settlement as a result of the rising waters.

Officials from the premier's office told protesters that they would be able to give feedback to the flood victims by Friday. 


flood victims

Flooding victims protest.  (Alex Mitchley, News24)



flood victims

Flooding victims protest.  (Alex Mitchley, News24)


flood victims

Flooding victims protest.  (Alex Mitchley, News24)




Read more on:    pretoria  |  floods
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.