WATCH: Piet's Vodacom tantrum a hit on Facebook

2017-03-17 20:02
Piet Malan (Facebook)

Piet Malan (Facebook)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - When businessman Piet Malan threw a tantrum outside a Vodacom store in the Westgate shopping mall in Roodepoort over billing issues, he didn't know that things were going to get much worse.

At least R500 000 was skimmed from his personal and business accounts and paid over to Vodacom after the outburst, Netwerk24 reported.

After being told a year ago that it was porn websites which had cost him all that money he was complaining about outside the store, the cellphone service provider confirmed that he had been hacked. 

He would get his money back, he was told, but a year down the line nothing had come of it. 

That's when Malan, the CEO of AA Doors, posted the video of his rant on Facebook. 

He says his problems started in January last year.

'Don't use Vodacom'

One evening his cellphone was blocked.

"I then phoned them [Vodacom] from my landline and they said I should do a SIM swap." 

He did that, but four days later the phone still hadn't been reactivated.

That's when he went to Westgate. 

"You take R10 000 from me every month," he is heard shouting in the video.

"Today I'll show you what fucking angry is!" 

He also repeatedly shouts: "Don't use Vodacom. They are shit."

Towards the end of the video he asks: "Please sort out my phone."  

Within an hour, he said, the phone was working. 

Warning: Strong language

Fraud confirmed

And then everything took a turn for the worse – more than R500 000 went "AWOL". Almost R250 000 was withdrawn from his personal account and soon after that about R260 000 from his business account and paid to Vodacom. 

Malan, who had 10 cellphone contracts with Vodacom, had suspected that it was the work of hackers when his phone was blocked.

According to him, Vodacom initially said R260 000 had been for data used to surf porn websites.
 
"I'm a 60-year-old businessman. Where would I find the time to trawl such websites? And God knows, it's impossible to use up that much data." 

Vodacom confirmed that Malan had been a victim of fraud.  

"We spoke to Mr Malan and can confirm that he will be credited for the data costs because of the fraud," said Vodacom spokesperson Byron Kennedy.

Malan posted the video on social media for the first time on Tuesday because he had been trying to get his money back for a year, he said. 

He now uses a different service provider. 

Jorge Mendes, Vodacom's Chief Officer for Consumer Sales and Distribution, apologised to Malan on behalf of Vodacom in this video posted on the company's Facebook page.

Read more on:    vodacom  |  johannesburg  |  customer service
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.