The safety of railway staff has to be guaranteed before the Passenger Rail Agency of SA (Prasa) reinstates its services in KwaZulu-Natal, an official has said."Things are still the same and will remain so until we are all certain and satisfied about the safety plan for both our staff and commuters," Prasa spokesperson Zama Nomnganga told News24 on Wednesday.ALSO READ: Umlazi fires: Train commuters angry at lack of alternative transport - eyewitnessAngry train commuters set four cars alight and damaged a ticket office and motor coach on Friday in Umlazi's J section, south of Durban. The damage was estimated to be more than R8m.Nomnganga said Prasa was working hard to resolve the issue."We are having engagements with the communities of Umlazi and community leadership to get assurances that people will be safe."'We had to put our foot down'Nomnganga said they were also engaging with provincial government to fast track a solution.Nomnganga previously said there were a series of incidents where drivers were intimidated, assaulted and trains hijacked.He said the Friday incident was "out of hand and we had to put our foot down and took a firm decision as leadership to protect our staff and also the commuters that are innocent".ALSO READ: Angry Umlazi train commuters allegedly torch train cars over late arrivalProvincial police said it was alleged that more than 1 000 commuters at Umlazi railway station had become violent and aggressive because of late train arrivals.Nomnganga said the incidents were "pure anarchy and needed to be dealt with decisively".He said their drivers had been hijacked and intimidated several times before.