Pupil dies, 6 others hospitalised after 'eating tainted chocolate'

2020-03-04 19:25
A school pupil died after consuming a poisonous substance.

A school pupil died after consuming a poisonous substance. (iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

A primary school pupil died after reportedly consuming a poisonous substance at school on Wednesday.

The pupil from Tsholetsang Primary School in Mangaung, Bloemfontein, died at a local clinic.

Six other pupils were admitted to Pelonomi Tertiary Hospital in Bloemfontein.

Free State Department of Health spokesperson Mondli Mvambi said two pupils were in intensive care, while four others were admitted to the general ward.

Mvambi said it was believed that the pupils had eaten the same chocolate.

"We can confirm that six children were admitted to Pelonomi Tertiary Hospital after ingesting a suspected poisonous substance. Two of these children, who are in ICU, are boys aged 8 and 9, while three of the four children admitted to the general ward are all aged 8 and one is 9 years old," said Mvambi.

Read more on:    bloemfontein
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.