Rank attack 6 get bail

2018-06-20 16:23

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The six men charged in connection with the taxi commotion earlier this month were on Tuesay each granted bail of R2 000.

The decision followed a shift in the prosecution’s stance towards bail, and Magistrate Vincent Ncanyana said there were no grounds to deny bail.

Prosecutor Rene Padayachee conceded there were flaws in the matter after defence attorney Z. Mabaso re-opened his clients’ case.

Mabaso submitted documents about the ongoing tensions between two rival taxi associations, one of which the guards were paid to protect.

Thembinkosi Vezi, Mzokhona Goge, Siboniso Cele, Thembinkosi Mchunu, Sandile Mabida and Andreas Poswa work for GRH Executive Protection and Tactical Services which has been contracted to protect the Howick Taxi Association.

Their version is that on June 1, members of the rival association opened fire on them at the Masukwana taxi rank.

To protect themselves, they returned fire.

One person was killed, six people were injured and property was damaged, for which the guards have been charged.

Padayachee revealed that the state’s case “at this stage is not strong”.

Furthermore, she said that the witnesses who had identified the men as the culprits on an identification parade all belonged to the rival taxi association. They were taxi owners and rank managers. Another problem, she said, was that shots were allegedly fired by the guards and the rival association’s members, but only the guard’s firearms were sent for ballistic testing.

“If they had not handed themselves over to police, there would be no case,” she admitted.

Padayachee even agreed with Mabaso, that the investigating officer’s “lack of knowledge” about the problems in the city’s taxi industry was “strange”.

Despite the magistrate being told that the state no longer opposed bail, he nevertheless considered all the evidence.

He said it was not his task to decide the guilt or otherwise of the accused. His primary consideration was to determine if they will stand their trial.

When it came to the state’s case, Ncanyana said that alone amounted to exceptional circumstances justifying their release on bail.

He added there was no evidence to suggest the six men would commit further offences. All of them except one, had clean records.

The case was adjourned to July 24 for further investigations.


Read more on:    pietermaritzburg  |  taxi violence
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic

Jobs in Cape Town [change area]

Jobs in Western Cape region

Reporting Accountant

Cape Town
Network Finance Professional / Prudential
R310 000.00 - R360 000.00 Per Year

SQL Reporter

Cape Town
Communicate Cape Town IT
R10 000.00 - R12 000.00 Per Month

Cluster Financial Manager

Cape Town
Network Finance
R950 000.00 - R1 000 000.00 Per Year

Property [change area]

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.