Robbery case against underworld figure Modack withdrawn

2017-12-12 11:47
Controversial businessman Nafiz Modack is seen outside the Worcester Magistrate's Court. (Supplied)

Controversial businessman Nafiz Modack is seen outside the Worcester Magistrate's Court. (Supplied)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - Charges of business robbery and assault, relating to a debt collection incident which played out in Worcester last month, have been withdrawn against controversial businessman Nafiz Modack.

Modack and about 12 others appeared in the Worcester Magistrate's Court on Tuesday.

Modack arrived with bodyguards, one of whom was carrying what appeared to be an AK47.

- For a detailed breakdown of underworld activities in the Western Cape see News24's Underworld Unmasked showcase here.

News24 understands the complainant in the case decided not to pursue the matter.

On Tuesday, Modack's legal representative Bruce Hendricks confirmed that all charges had been withdrawn in the matter.

Modack and the 12 others were arrested in Worcester on November 28.

READ: Underworld figure Modack facing robbery and assault charges in 'debt collection' debacle

Sources with close knowledge of what happened had told News24 that a group of men had been in Worcester to collect a debt of between R20m and R30m from a businessman in the area.

A fight had then apparently broken out.

At the time, Western Cape police spokesperson Sergeant Noloyiso Rwexana said cases of business robbery and malicious damage to property were being investigated.

"According to information, 13 suspects went to a business and robbed the complainant of his cellphone and [an] undisclosed amount of money," she had said.

Rwexana said they had also damaged the complainant's car.

Underworld violence started surging in Cape Town late last year when a new grouping of men, headed by Modack, started taking control of nightclub security from a more established grouping.

The takeover sparked violence and several shootings.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

- FOLLOW News24 on Twitter

Read more on:    nafiz modack  |  cape town  |  underworld  |  crime

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.