SA concerned over Saudi journalist believed to be killed in Turkey - Dirco

2018-10-17 15:58

South Africa has joined the world in voicing concerns over the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, the Department of International Relations and Cooperation (Dirco) said on Wednesday.

"The South African government joins the international community in expressing its concern regarding reports about the disappearance of Saudi Arabian journalist, Jamal Khashoggi, whilst in Istanbul, Turkey," Dirco spokesperson Ndivhuwo Mabaya said in a statement.

The 60-year-old journalist had recently criticised the Saudi Arabian government.

He was seen, through CCTV footage, entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2, but was never seen coming out.

"Government welcomes the ongoing diplomatic interaction between the Republic of Turkey and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, as well as the investigation which seeks to get to the bottom of this matter," Mabaya said.

Turkish officials have revealed that evidence had been found in the Saudi consulate that confirms a “prominent writer was killed there”, according to media reports.

"We trust that this investigation will provide clarity and answers regarding the disappearance of Mr Khashoggi," said Mabaya.

Read more on:    jamal khashoggi  |  saudi arabia
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.