SA drug mule caught with cocaine in dreadlocks to be freed from Thai prison

2019-08-07 16:33
Nolubabalo Nobanda when she was caught with drugs in her hair. (File photo)

Nolubabalo Nobanda when she was caught with drugs in her hair. (File photo)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Convicted South African drug mule Nolubabalo "Babsie" Nobanda is heading back to South Africa.

"The South African embassy in Bangkok, Thailand, has confirmed having received a written notification from the Thai authorities informing the embassy that Ms Nolubabalo Nobanda is due to be released from detention on 27 August 2019, bar any unforeseen circumstances," Department of International Relations and Cooperation spokesperson Nelson Kgwete said on Wednesday. 

ALSO READ: SA drug mule says friend betrayed her

He added that, after Nobanda's release from prison, she would be moved to an Immigration Detention Centre (IDC), from where she would undergo more administrative processing, before she could return to the country.

"The SA Embassy in Bangkok is not in control of this process and Dirco is therefore not in a position to predict when exactly she will depart from Thailand. The embassy will closely monitor the process and remain in contact with the Thai authorities to facilitate her soonest possible return to SA," Kgwete said. 

Some on Twitter have had sympathy for Nobanda.

Approximately 1.5kg of cocaine, with an estimated street value of R1.2m, was found in her dreadlocks after police noticed a white substance in her hair, News24 earlier reported.

Nobanda told Thailand authorities that she had been hired to deliver the drugs to a customer at a hotel in Bankgok. 

Initially sentenced to 30 years in prison, Nobanda's sentence was first halved and then reduced by two-and-a-half years in May. 

Henk Vanstaen, a Thailand resident who assists South Africans incarcerated in the kingdom, confirmed Nobanda's release to HeraldLIVE. 

He reportedly said she would be taken to the prison where she was initially apprehended to be fingerprinted.

After this she would be transferred to the IDC.

Vanstaen told HeraldLIVE it was expected that she would fly back to South Africa about five days later.

GET THE NEWS at your fingertips and download the News24 app for Android here now. Get it for your iPhone here.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

- FOLLOW News24 on Twitter

Read more on:    thailand  |  crime  |  drugs

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.