SA man among hostages in video released by al-Qaeda-linked Mali extremists

2017-07-03 09:07
Stephen McGowan in a screengrab from a video. (AQIM, Al-Jazeera)

Stephen McGowan in a screengrab from a video. (AQIM, Al-Jazeera)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Dakar – An al-Qaeda-linked group in Mali has released a proof-of-life video showing six foreign hostages, including a South African man, shortly before French President Emmanuel Macron arrived in the country for an anti-terror summit, a group that monitors jihadist communications says.

The recently formed Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen issued the video on Saturday on Telegram, the SITE Intelligence Group said.

The video shows Stephen McGowan of South Africa, Elliot Kenneth Arthur of Australia, Iulian Ghergut of Romania, Beatrice Stockly of Switzerland, Gloria Cecilia Narvaez of Colombia and Sophie Petronin of France.

A number of the hostages in Mali have been held for years. Of the six shown in the video, McGowan was the earliest seized, abducted in 2011 from a hostel in Timbuktu. Narvaez, a nun, was the most recently seized, abducted in February near the border with Burkina Faso.

- Read more: SA man held in Mali is well - father

- Mother of SA hostage in Mali dies without reunion

On Sunday, Colombia's foreign ministry said in a statement that "knowing she is alive motivates us to keep working for her timely release".

The video comes after Sweden's government on Monday announced the release of Johan Gustafsson, who was held by Islamic extremists in Mali for six years.

'These people are nothing'

"No genuine negotiations have begun to rescue your children," a narrator says.

The narrator also mentions the recently elected French President Emmanuel Macron, saying that Petronin "is hoping that the new French president will come to her rescue".

Macron said he welcomed the first sign of life for several months from Petronin.

"These people are nothing," he said of the extremists. "They are terrorists, thugs and assassins. And we will put all of our energies into eradicating them."

Macron met on Sunday in Mali with heads of state from five nations across Africa's Sahel region to build support for a new 5 000-strong multinational force meant to counter extremists there. Deadly attacks in recent years in countries once considered relatively safe have alarmed the international community.

In March, a video announced the creation of Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen from a merger of three extremist groups: the al-Qaeda-linked al-Mourabitoun, Ansar Dine and al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb.

Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen claimed responsibility for last month's attack on a resort area popular with foreigners outside Mali's capital that killed at least five people.

WATCH: New Proof of Life Video on Stephen McGowan 

Read more on:    emmanuel macron  |  mali  |  security

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.