Sanco slams mob justice after two men set alight

2016-07-02 23:00
(iStock)

(iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

George - A mob justice incident in which two people were doused in petrol and set alight for apparently stealing a laptop in George has been condemned as a “barbaric and ghastly act” by the South African National Civic Organisation (Sanco).

Sanco spokesperson Jabu Mahlangu on Saturday slammed the incident which took place earlier this week in Conville in which two people sustained severe burn wounds and a third escaped.

"Mob justice will only lead to lawlessness and a vicious cycle of violence," he said in a statement.

He appealed to locals to assist police in their investigations instead of taking the law into their own hands.

"Urgent action needs to be taken to restore the confidence of communities in accountable and democratic community policing to address mob justice incidents that appear to be on the increase," he said.

Mahlangu said that vigilantism created a cycle of violence that undermines the rule of law, but added that quicker police response to distress calls, increased visibility and regular investigation progress updates to crime victims “will contribute towards restoring confidence in the criminal justice system”.

Read more on:    sanco  |  george
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 

Matric Results are coming soon!

Notify me when results become available

/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.