Sanral condemns 'ugly' Mooi River protests

2018-05-03 18:51
Trucks were set alight along the N3 freeway near the Mooi River toll plaza. (Arrive Alive via Twitter)

Trucks were set alight along the N3 freeway near the Mooi River toll plaza. (Arrive Alive via Twitter)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The South African National Roads Agency (Sanral) has slammed the "violent and destructive protests" that took place earlier this week at the Mooi River toll plaza on the N3 freeway.

Sanral CEO Skhumbuzo Macozoma said that while people had the right to protest, they did not have the right to destroy public or any other property.

"Clearly the ugly protests at the Mooi River toll plaza over the long weekend violated this principle," he said.

A total of 35 trucks, many of which were set alight, were damaged when the protest broke out on Sunday evening.

Police spokesperson Colonel Thembeka Mbhele said that at around 19:30 a group of people began throwing objects on the N3 freeway.

READ: Violent protest action causes road closure on N3 near Mooi River toll plaza

"It is believed that the people who were protesting and throwing stones as well as burning objects caused extensive damage to property".

Macozoma said Sanral called on law enforcement agencies to "act decisively and see to it that those guilty of breaking the law are brought to book".

"This was not a matter in which the roads agency was directly involved, but it endangered the safety of those using the N3, damaged tourism prospects in the province and hurt the image of South Africa. No one and nothing was gained from the protest."

The agency would not speculate on the cause of the violent demonstration.

"The violence that often characterises demonstrations and protests is deplorable and can never be justified. There are other ways to settle disputes, and we ask that those involved find each other to resolve the outstanding issues."

Macozoma regretted the negative impact and inconvenience the violent incidents had on those travelling through the toll plaza.

Appeal for public's assistance

Eight people have since appeared in court for the damage during the protests after 56 were initially arrested.

"The senior public prosecutor has indicated to police that the evidence against 48 is insufficient and ordered that the police release them from custody," Mbhele said in a statement.

Six of the accused will be kept in police custody until May 7, while two minors were released into their parents' custody.

Police are appealing for the public to come forward with footage of the looting and burning of trucks. Anyone with information on the incident is urged contact Colonel Wiles on 082 469 9336.

Read more on:    sanral  |  durban  |  protests

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.