Sassa still has 50 000 deduction complaints to deal with - Dlamini

2017-05-10 07:07
Bathabile Dlamini (File, Leon Sadiki, City Press)

Bathabile Dlamini (File, Leon Sadiki, City Press)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - Social Development Minister Bathabile Dlamini has told MPs that more than 50 000 grant beneficiary complaints were incomplete as they were still waiting for affidavits from complainants.

Dlamini told the National Council of Provinces on Tuesday that the South African Social Security Agency had received 95 429 disputes from grant beneficiaries from April 2016 to February 2017.

Illegal deductions

"Most are about airtime and prepaid electricity [deductions]. We've been able to resolve 10 067 cases," she said during a question session to the social services cluster.

"Over 50 000 cases are incomplete as affidavits are still outstanding".

She did not explain the status of the remaining 35 000.

Democratic Alliance MP Leon Magwebu followed up, and was unhappy that Sassa still had that many complaints to process. Dlamini needed to give them a timeline for when they will be resolved, he said.

His colleague, Chris Hattingh, said she didn't answer the original question, which asked how many people had been affected by illegal deductions; not how many had complained.

"Many people won't complain...they will just go on and get their money," he said, before adding that Dlamini should leave procurement "to the professionals".

Social services

Dlamini responded by saying Hattingh was making assumptions and accused him of playing with people's emotions.

She said Sassa only has on record complaints that had been received.
In response to Magwebu, she said the complaints could not be resolved until they had received affidavits from the complainants.

Sassa was due in Parliament on Wednesday to account to the portfolio committee on social development on its annual performance and budget plans.

Dlamini too was expected before the select committee on social services, after its committee meeting was cancelled last week due to non-attendance by either the minister or deputy.

Read more on:    sassa  |  bathabile dlamini  |  cape town  |  politics  |  social grants  |  parliament 2017

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.