Search for KZN teen missing at sea called off

2017-12-16 22:05
(iStock)

(iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Durban - Medical rescue service IPSS has called off a search for a 13-year-old boy who went missing at Sheffield Beach on the north coast of KwaZulu-Natal on Saturday.

The beach is designated as a no-swimming beach.

Authorities made use of jet skis and a drone in an effort to find the teen.

The search is expected to continue on Sunday morning, after a three-hour search by authorities had to be called off due to high winds and rough sea conditions.

IPSS’s Paul Herbst said in a statement that the boy had been seen swimming by a passerby, before disappearing under the waves.

"The bystander entered the water to try to locate the boy, but was unsuccessful in his efforts," Herbst said. 

Read more on:    durban  |  drownings
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.