Second accused in Tokai teen's murder drops bail bid

2016-04-28 14:05
Franziska Blöchliger (Screengrab, News24)

Franziska Blöchliger (Screengrab, News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - Another of the four accused charged with the rape and murder of Tokai teen Franziska Blöchliger has dropped his bail bid.

Jonathan Jonas became the second accused, after Howard Oliver, to make this decision, the Wynberg Magistrate’s Court heard.

The two were in court, along with Jerome Moses and Daniel Easter.

According to an affidavit read by Monique Carstens, for Moses, the 24-year-old self-confessed drug addict was approached by Oliver at a shop on the day of the murder.

Moses, apparently high at the time, alleged Oliver had a cellphone he had wanted to sell. No buyers were interested as the iPhone was password protected.

Moses said he then took Oliver to Easter, to whom he had previously sold his own cellphone.

Easter, in his affidavit read by attorney Andre Botman, said he bought the phone and was unaware it was stolen.

Both had previous convictions. Moses was found guilty of housebreaking, theft, and possession of stolen goods. He said there might be others which he could not remember.

Easter was previously convicted of theft and drug possession.

The 16-year-old Franziska was found dead in Tokai Forest on March 7. She had arranged to meet her mother after going jogging in the popular recreational area by herself. When Franziska did not arrive at the agreed meeting place, the family began to worry.

She was later found strangled and raped. She had been robbed of her iPhone, watch, headset, and diamond ring.

The accused are understood to have been linked to the crime through witnesses, and were found in possession of her belongings.

The State said it would oppose bail for all four accused. They face charges of murder, rape, and robbery with aggravating circumstances.

According to the charge sheet, three of them are from Westlake and one from Steenberg. They are aged between 21 and 32.

Franziska's father, Florian Blöchliger, attended court proceeding for the first time on Thursday, saying he wanted "to see who it is that is said to have done this" to his daughter.

Read more on:    franziska ­blöchliger  |  cape town  |  crime

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
ADVERTORIAL
Competition regulation for a growing and inclusive economy

ADVERTORIAL: The Competition Commission of South Africa is conducting advocacy work in the South African automotive aftermarket industry and has gazetted a Draft Code of Conduct for public comment.

/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.