Man accused of stabbing Nelson Mandela Bay chief whip acquitted

2018-03-19 15:15
Andile Lungisa and Gamalihleli Maqula.  (Werner Hills, File photo/Netwerk24)

Andile Lungisa and Gamalihleli Maqula. (Werner Hills, File photo/Netwerk24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Port Elizabeth - The man accused of stabbing Nelson Mandela Bay chief whip Werner Senekal during a council brawl in October 2016, was acquitted in the Port Elizabeth Magistrate's Court on Monday morning.

Gamalihleli Maqula faced a charge of assault with the intent to cause grievous bodily harm (assault GBH), alongside ANC provincial heavyweight Andile Lungisa.

At the end of the State's case, Maqula's attorney Luthando Ngqakayi brought an application for a discharge in terms of section 174 of the Criminal Procedure Act.

Magistrate Morne Cannon said the State had called a number of witnesses, including Senekal himself, former UDM councillor Mandla Faltein, municipal manager Johann Mettler and Senekal's doctor Wessel Swart to testify.

He said Faltein’s evidence, which included a video of the alleged stabbing, was not of much use, pointing out that the video was unclear and adding that Senekal himself battled to identify himself in the footage.

READ: Andile Lungisa assault trial: UDM councillor asks media to be removed

Addressing Senekal's testimony, Cannon said the chief whip conceded that he did not know when or where he had been stabbed, or who had stabbed him.

"He concedes that the injury could have happened on two other occasions," Cannon said. "He also concedes he did not see a weapon on [Maqula]."

As a result, not much could be placed on Senekal’s testimony, the magistrate found.

Cannon also referred to Mettler's testimony that he saw Maqula make a movement with his hand before he saw Senekal wince in pain and take a step forward. This led him to conclude that Senekal had been stabbed.

However, Cannon said Mettler had not been able to explain why Senekal's testimony contradicted his own, and added that Mettler conceded that he had not seen a weapon in Maqula's hand.

Dealing with the testimony of Dr Swart, which was given on Monday, Cannon said the evidence confirmed the injury, but pointed out that it did not help the State to prove that Maqula had caused it.

"In light of the above, I find there is no evidence to convict [Maqula]. [Maqula] is therefore discharged in terms of section 174 of the Criminal Procedure Act," he ruled.

Lungisa still faces a charge of assault GBH for allegedly smashing a glass water jug over the head of member of the mayoral committee for transport, Rano Kayser, during the same incident.

Lungisa is expected to testify in his defence later today.

The trial continues.

Read more on:    andile lungisa  |  port elizabeth  |  courts  |  crime

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.