Sexual assault claims at primary school: Lesufi slams principal

2017-11-23 16:17
Panyaza Lesufi. (Thapelo Maphakela)

Panyaza Lesufi. (Thapelo Maphakela)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg – Gauteng education MEC Panyaza Lesufi has reprimanded the principal and senior management officials at a primary school in Diepsloot, north of Johannesburg, for only alerting him of cases of alleged sexual misconduct after he received enquiries from the media.

During an interview with News24 in Auckland Park on Thursday, Lesufi said the school was most recently made aware of an incident of sexual misconduct in October. 

"These children are under their care and the last incident was picked up in October, and the school didn't even notify us. The school only notified and provided us with reports when we received media [enquiries]," Lesufi said. 

This comes after it had emerged that a pensioner, who lived near the school, had allegedly sexually assaulted a number of pupils.

READ MORE: Lesufi lost for words over alleged sexual assault of 54 pupils

"It is quite clear that the principal's hands are full and they (senior management) forget to take important issues seriously."

Police have opened an investigation into the matter, Lesufi said.

According to Lesufi's spokesperson Steve Mabona, the man would allegedly lure the kids with cash and then take them to his home.

It was unclear whether any physical assault had actually taken place or whether the pupils were still being groomed, Mabona explained.

There was also an allegation that he had showed them pornography, and this would be investigated by the police, he said.

Lesufi described the incidents as "sad" and "worrying" and said they should not be taken lightly. He said the pupils had been warned not to interact with him anymore.

The department was currently in the process of conducting interviews and interacting with pupils – including those who might have been affected.

"We have also convened a parents' meeting over the weekend," he added.

The department was also expected to meet with the all the principals in Ekurhuleni at 14:00 on Thursday, followed by a meeting at 18:00 with the school governing bodies to appoint one teacher at each school who would be dedicated to dealing with sexual assault issues.

In October, a security guard was arrested and charged with three counts of rape and five counts of sexual assault after he was accused of allegedly sexually assaulting at least 87 school girls at a primary school in Soweto, Johannesburg.

He is currently in police custody awaiting his next court appearance on November 30.

Read more on:    panyaza lesufi  |  johannesburg  |  crime

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.