'Shutdown' planned for Cape Town roads over poverty, crime

2018-09-24 16:00
Supplied

Supplied

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Working class communities across Cape Town are expected to "reclaim" their streets on Tuesday morning as part of a movement called the Western Cape Total Shutdown.

This was in protest against poverty, crime and unemployment.

Organiser Gatto Wanza said residents would come together and protest on streets leading to highways between 05:00 and 10:00.

Residents and trade union members are expected to hold protests in: Bellville, Bishop Lavis, Bonteheuwel, Langa, Steenberg, Manenberg, Nyanga, Hanover Park, Flamingo, Freedom Square, Samora Machel, Phillipi, Mitchell's Plain, Khayelitsha, Kensington, Factreton, Heideveld, Delft, Kraaifontein, Ottery and Ruyterwacht.

Wanza said they did not yet have a sense of the expected turnout yet. The roads expected to be affected will feed into the N2, M5 and M7 traffic.

"Since the fall of Apartheid nothing has changed much for our working class communities. Our people continue to live in abject poverty, are facing unprecedented levels of unemployment and violence, cannot afford food and basic necessities such as water, electricity and transport and added to this we live in overcrowded communities because of a lack of decent housing," the organisers said in a statement.

They also said high levels of corruption in the public and private sectors took resources away from citizens who most needed it, leaving the poor to die of hunger and violence.

"It is our aim to continuously work on drawing in all urban, peri-urban and rural working class communities to participate to be part of our movement and our fight for the poor and marginalised."

Western Cape traffic chief Kenny Africa said their office was aware of the planned strike action.

Mayoral committee member JP Smith told News24 on Monday that the planned action was a public order issue and would be handled by the police.

Any blocking of roads would not be allowed and would be treated as illegal, he said.

Their officials were alerted to the planned action in the week, and will be ready to monitor the situation come Tuesday.

GroundUp previously reported that a mass shutdown was planned for October 3.

Organisers told GroundUp that they planned to blockade entrances and some main roads in several areas.

*Update: This story has been updated to include comments by JP Smith.

Read more on:    cape town  |  service delivery

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.