Significant drop in initiate deaths this year

2016-07-19 15:45

Johannesburg – Twenty-seven young men died across the country during this winter initiation season, compared to 44 last year, the government said on Tuesday.

Most of them, 18, died in the Eastern Cape, followed by three in North West and two each in Limpopo, Mpumalanga, and Gauteng, the Co-operative Governance and Traditional Affairs Ministry said in a statement.

The initiation season runs for about three weeks each year. It ended on the weekend of July 16 and 17.

"We are saddened that even with all the measures we employed to ensure a safe initiation season, the country recorded the death of 27 initiates," it said.

It attributed the decrease to family involvement in the process of choosing appropriate initiation schools, where pre-screening and registration was done, and the surgeons were qualified and known to the parents.  

Illegal initiation schools and abductions continued to plague Gauteng, the Eastern Cape, Limpopo, and Mpumalanga.

 

NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 

Matric Results are coming soon!

Notify me when results become available

/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.