Sindiso Magaqa murder accused abandons attempt to get bail

2018-09-20 13:32
The man accused of the murder of Sindiso Magaqa has abandoned bail at the Umzimkhulu Magistrate's Court. (Mxolisi Mngadi, News24)

The man accused of the murder of Sindiso Magaqa has abandoned bail at the Umzimkhulu Magistrate's Court. (Mxolisi Mngadi, News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

A man accused of the murder of former ANC Youth League secretary general Sindiso Magaqa abandoned his bail application in the Umzimkhulu Magistrate's Court on Thursday.

Sibusiso Malusi Ncengwa, 30, appeared in a packed court under heavy police presence.

His lawyer, Sicelo Zungu, told Magistrate Khulile Mdladlamba that his client would no longer proceed with his bail application as it had been anticipated.

Mdladlamba adjourned the matter until October 25 for a provisional indictment.

Ncengwa will be held in custody until then.

READ: ANC's internal politics led to killing of Umzimkhulu councillor, Moerane Commission hears 

Magaqa, 35, died at Albert Luthuli Hospital in Durban in September from gunshot wounds he had sustained during an ambush on July 13.

He was a ward councillor in Umzimkhulu, southern KwaZulu-Natal, at the time of his shooting.

Scores of ANC supporters sang struggle songs outside court. They were against Ncengwa being granted bail.

Magaqa's family spokesperson Lwazi Magaqa said they were happy about the arrest of the man.

"His arrest gives us hope. The questions that we have, including the motive for Sindiso's murder and who had sent the accused, will finally be answered," he said.

Umzimkhulu councillors Nonsikelelo Mafa and Jabu Mzizi-Msiya sustained gunshot wounds on the day of Magaqa's ambush.

Mafa said the accused was a familiar man in Umzimkhulu.

"We are happy that he abandoned bail, but what we would like him to do now is speak the truth. We would like to know who had sent him," she said.

Police Minister Bheki Cele attributed Ncengwa's arrest to a special task team he established two months ago in KwaZulu-Natal to investigate political killings.

READ MORE: Cele confirms one suspect arrested for Sindiso Magaqa murder

Read more on:    sindiso magaqa  |  durban  |  crime  |  courts

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.