Sixth baby dies in Klebsiella outbreak

2018-09-11 16:30
New born baby.(Photo: Getty Images/Gallo)

New born baby.(Photo: Getty Images/Gallo)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

A sixth baby died on Tuesday following a Klebsiella pneumonia outbreak at the Thelle Mogoerane Regional Hospital in Vosloorus, the Gauteng department of health has confirmed.

According to the department, 12 neonates have been found to be blood culture positive for antibiotic resistant Klebsiella since July. Three neonates were discharged after treatment while three others who are currently being treated are in a stable condition.

The outbreak claimed its first life at the hospital on July 1, with another fatality reported on August 1. On August 25, two infants died and another died three days later.

READ: Probe under way after 5 babies die in Klebsiella outbreak at Gauteng hospital

Klebsiella pneumoniae is a bacterium that lives inside human intestines.

The National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD) said Klebsiella pneumoniae is known to cause different types of healthcare-associated infections such as pneumonia, meningitis, sepsis, wound or surgical site infections.

People with severe illness, surgical patients, those who stay in hospital for prolonged periods, patients undergoing organ or stem cell transplantation, those in intensive care and people who are on mechanical ventilation are at risk for infections with carbapenem-resistant organisms such as Klebsiella, it explained.

Measures taken to prevent cross-infection

The NICD confirmed to News24 on Tuesday it had been asked by the provincial health department to investigate three weeks ago.

"An investigation is currently being coordinated by the NICD and the infection prevention and control (IPC) directorate of the Gauteng provincial department of health. The aim of the ongoing investigation is to verify the number of persons affected and to conduct an IPC audit," it said in a statement.

According to the provincial heath department, the hospital's neonatal unit currently houses a total of 70 babies, 19 of whom are "new admissions in the newly sanitised area".

"There are 51 neonates from July and August 2018 who are being closely monitored," it confirmed.

"All admissions after the beginning of September are admitted to newly sterilised areas with dedicated staff to prevent cross-infection between the prior admissions and new admissions.

"The hospital took proactive measures by strengthening infection prevention and control and closely monitoring the unit. All babies that were admitted in the ward were screened to prevent further infections."

A district specialist, an infection prevention and control team and the NICD have been "called in for support".

Read more on:    johannesburg  |  health

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.