Soweto school guard accused of sexual assault hears girls are traumatised

2017-10-18 14:35
Magistrate's Court. (Duncan Alfreds, News24)

Magistrate's Court. (Duncan Alfreds, News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg – A security guard who allegedly sexually assaulted at least 87 school girls at a Soweto primary school heard on Wednesday that the case was set to move slowly as some of the victims were really traumatised.

The short, elderly man, appeared briefly at the Protea Magistrate's Court in Soweto, where he was told that his bail application was not ready to be heard.

State prosecutor Cheryl Slack asked Magistrate Herman Badenhorst to postpone the matter for further investigation and for an identity parade to be conducted.

"At the moment we are dealing with a total of 15 children who have made written statements," said Slack.  

This prompted Badenhorst to ask Slack where the media had gotten the number of 87 girls when reporting on the matter.

When the story initially made headlines, the number of pupils alleged to have been sexually assaulted was 54, however, the number later rose to 87.

The National Prosecuting Authority's Phindi Mjonondwane confirmed that there were 15 statements in the docket so far.

"We have a total number of 87 learners willing to come forward and give us statements, but so far there are only 15..."

Read: More allegations of sexual assault against Soweto school guard

Mjonondwane said that from the 15 statements obtained, the man currently faced three charges of rape and five charges of sexual assault.

"It is going to be a long process because we are dealing with kids and some of them are really traumatised because this is a very sensitive case.

"We will be moving at a snail's pace but we urge the public to bear with us… We will be working very hard to make sure that these children receive justice."

Gauteng education MEC Panyaza Lesufi previously told News24 that the suspect, who is in his 50s and is known to the community, allegedly began assaulting the children, ranging from Grade R to 7, in February.

It was only on September 26, after a grandparent reported an incident to the principal, that all educators were instructed to question the pupils.

The man was reportedly arrested on October 9.

He would return to court in a week's time (October 25).

Read more on:    soweto  |  johannesburg  |  crime  |  child abuse

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.