Spotlight on another govt building after deadly Joburg blaze

2018-09-07 15:39
The Gauteng government building that was on fire in the Johannesburg CBD this week. (Canny Maphanga, News24, file)

The Gauteng government building that was on fire in the Johannesburg CBD this week. (Canny Maphanga, News24, file)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The condition of yet another government building is under the spotlight in the wake of Wednesday's blaze at a Johannesburg building in which three firefighters died.

There were reports of two arson attempts at the Civitas building in Pretoria this week, which houses the national Department of Health.

The most recent was on the 14th floor on Thursday.

READ: Fatal Johannesburg building fire reignites

On the same day, the Public Servants' Association (PSA) of SA lodged an urgent application in the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria to force the department to address its concerns.

PSA members have been protesting against the condition of the building and claimed that its members risked their lives daily by working there.

READ: A day of fire in Gauteng

Arson attempts

During a briefing on Friday, Minister of Public Works Thulas Nxesi questioned whether it was a coincidence that there were two arson attempts at the headquarters in Pretoria as well as an alleged attempt in Johannesburg.

He said the removal of the earth cable from the chiller plant and the damage to the boardroom on the 16th floor of the Civitas building had been reported to the police.

He could not confirm the latest compliance level of the building but said that the lowest was 21% in 2016.

"We are very suspicious that there might be connections. We might be wrong, we might be right, but investigations would reveal it," Nxesi said.

A firefighter fell to his death while battling the Johannesburg blaze on Wednesday at the Bank of Lisbon building and two firefighters lost their lives after they became trapped inside.

The building houses the Gauteng departments of health, human settlements and cooperative governance and traditional affairs.

All employees have been told to stay home until they are relocated.  

Thirteen employees and eight firefighters were taken to hospital for smoke inhalation. The fire was extinguished after two days.

'Death trap'

Two unions, the National Education and Workers' Union and the Democratic Nursing Organisation of South Africa both told News24 that they laid complaints about safety and health issues at the Johannesburg building as far back as 2014.

On Friday, Nxesi confirmed that the Civitas building was a state-of-the-art building which had been poorly maintained and that his department must take full responsibility for it.

Nxesi told the media that poor maintenance of the building resulted in the malfunctioning of the air conditioning, adding that this led to employees protesting against their working conditions.

He strongly rejected media reports that the building was a "death trap", since it has never been declared uninhabitable.

Nxesi said they were dealing with a "concerned campaign of criminal and potentially lethal sabotage".

Where contractors had made repairs to air-conditioning units, wires had been cut, he said.

Nxesi added that smoke detectors and security cameras had also been disabled.

He added that several locks had been broken and there was forced entry into the building and control rooms recently.

Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi said they had asked the public works department to put a full-time engineer at the Civitas building.

With regard to the recent attempted arson attacks, Motsoaledi said he was "very worried and extremely scared".

"We [have] a thousand people there and if somebody doesn't mind bringing down a thousand people for whatever motive, [it's] worrying," he said.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

- FOLLOW News24 on Twitter

Read more on:    johannesburg  |  fires

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.