#StateCaptureInquiry: Mnonopi withdraws application to quiz Jonas

2018-09-06 15:50
Mcebisi Jonas (News24)

Mcebisi Jonas (News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Major General Zinhle Mnonopi, the suspended head of the Hawks' anti-corruption unit, has withdrawn an application to cross-examine former finance deputy minister Mcebisi Jonas.

Her lawyer, advocate Vincent Siwela, told the commission of inquiry into state capture on Thursday that she had decided to completely withdraw her application against Jonas.

Mnonopi was implicated by the former deputy minister in his evidence last week. Jonas claimed Mnonopi tried to "kill" a case in which one of the Gupta brothers, Ajay Gupta, was accused of trying to bribe him with R600m and a ministerial post.

Siwela told Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo, who is chairing the commission, that to continue in this process would "severely prejudice the general".

Mnonopi was suspended from the specialised policing unit following the damning claims. Hawks head Godfrey Lebeya told City Press she was served with a suspension based on the allegations that she interfered with investigations and acted without impartiality.

READ: State capture inquiry claims first scalp, as top Hawks official suspended

The commission's legal team had informed Hawks management that Mnonopi would be implicated ahead of the inquiry which kicked off in August.

The major general is also being investigated with the possibility of disciplinary proceedings being instituted against her.

Siwela told News24 on the side lines that developments outside the commission necessitated the decision to withdraw from the commission.

"What's been taking place outside is contrary to what we've been trying to avoid," said Siwela.

He said it was common knowledge that Mnonopi had been suspended and had a pending disciplinary hearing and that developments around her name within the commission might have dire consequences on those processes.

"Whatever transpires here may be prejudicial in the other forum," he said.

Read more on:    mcebisi jonas  |  state capture inquiry

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.