Striking refuse collectors ‘will not allow any temporary workers’

2019-02-19 16:09
Piles of uncollected rubbish in West Street on Monday.

Piles of uncollected rubbish in West Street on Monday. (Ian Carbutt)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Despite promises by Msunduzi to bring in temporary workers to remove the garbage that has been accumulating on the streets since the start of the municipal workers’ strike last week, it has not been collected.

By late on Monday afternoon heaps of rubbish could be seen along streets across the city — with no waste removal workers in sight.

This after municipal waste management staff, who have been on strike since Tuesday, resolved to continue with their industrial action.

On Sunday the municipality told The Witness that it had hired temporary workers to remove the waste.

However, the striking SA Municipal Workers’ Union (Samwu) workers said they will not allow any temporary workers in the city.

“We have genuine grievances and ... appeal to anyone who is offered such temporary work to turn it down.

“We will not allow anyone to undermine the struggle of the workers,” Jabulani Ngidi, who is one of the strikers’ leaders said.

Ngidi said the striking workers were currently negotiating with the municipality’s leadership to find an amicable solution to the impasse.

They have not followed procedures before downing tools and are demanding a standardised salary system and safe working conditions.

Samwu leadership has distanced itself from the strike, saying the workers had not informed the union before embarking on the strike.

“Had they approached us we would have advised them on processes set out in the labour act which they needed to follow before embarking on a strike,” Samwu regional secretary Sbu Molefe said.

Molefe could not comment about talks between Msunduzi management and the striking workers.

“As the regional leadership we are not part of the talks,” he said.

Since last Tuesday the striking workers had been blocking the entrance to the municipality’s engineering workshop in Havelock Road.

The Msunduzi Municipality could not be reached for comment.

Read more on:    pietermaritzburg  |  waste management strike
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.