Teens withdraw charges

2019-04-10 15:28
Paul Anthony Dickinson flanked by Simphiwe Mdletshe (left) and Mduduzi Mdunge. They have buried the hatchet.

Paul Anthony Dickinson flanked by Simphiwe Mdletshe (left) and Mduduzi Mdunge. They have buried the hatchet.

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The case of a Hilton man charged with having assaulted two teenagers was on Tuesday struck off the Pietermaritzburg district court roll.

This comes in the wake of withdrawal statements made by Mduduzi Mdunge and Simphiwe Mdletshe at the Hilton police station.

The two had charged Paul Anthony Dickinson with assaulting them with intent to do grievous bodily harm in the early hours of June 4 last year, while they were walking home from work.

Read: Teens want justice

Their withdrawal statements were almost identical, except for one sentence that was not worded the same.

Both said they “hereby wish to withdraw the case of assault GBH which I opened at the Hilton SAPS”.

Simphiwe said “the accused has financially compensated me”, while Mduduzi said “I have been financially compensated by the accused”.

They both said they “no longer desire police investigation” in this matter and consider the matter over.

“That is all I wish to state concerning this matter,” they both said.

Paul’s father, Ian Dickinson, said the case had been “blown out of proportion”.

“It was never racial,” he added.

Also read: Attack ‘wasn’t racial’

He said that on the night of the incident, there were several burglaries in Hilton. His son had been house-sitting that night and when he arrived at the house he found it ransacked.

“Over R100 000 worth of goods were stolen and the house was turned upside down,” he said.

Dickinson senior said that his son then contacted a security company.

Two men were brought who were believed to be responsible for the house robbery. He claimed the two “had already been assaulted”.

“Paul was naughty and slapped one of them with an open hand. My brother and other son moved him away quickly and calmed him down,” he said.

Dickinson senior denied earlier reports that the assault victims were left at the roadside injured. He said an ambulance was contacted and had arrived.

The Witness quoted the teens as having said after the incident that they were walking home from work when a group of white men hurled racial slurs at them, assaulted them and left them at the roadside to die.

Mdletshe confirmed on Tuesday that he, Dickinson and Mduduzi have resolved their issues.


Read more on:    pietermaritzburg  |  assault
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.