Thieves strike again at State Security Agency

2020-02-09 19:51
State Security Minister Ayanda Dlodlo. (Gallo Images, Getty Images)

State Security Minister Ayanda Dlodlo. (Gallo Images, Getty Images)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The Hawks are investigating a second theft of money out of the State Security Agency's (SSA) offices in Pretoria - this time two weeks ago, a spokesperson confirmed on Sunday.

"We can confirm it's a theft, not a robbery. The matter was referred to us for further investigation," said Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi following a report on IOL.

He added the theft had occurred at the agency's Lyttleton offices two weeks ago, and while the Hawks are holding their cards close to their chest on the finer details, he would only say that money was stolen. 

However, Mulaudzi would not say how much. 

According to the report, the perpetrators walked into a safe at the office in Lyttelton, Gauteng, two weeks ago and left with classified documents, an undisclosed amount of money in local and foreign currency and this time they also took the CCTV cameras. 

They did not break a door or a window.

READ | SSA to be restructured as Ramaphosa's National Security Council gets the nod from Cabinet

Mulaudzi said the investigation would include whether the security guards were at their posts at the time.

Reportedly, they were not, and the safe door was open, and had been demagnitised when the theft was discovered. 

In 2015, between Christmas Day and Boxing Day, thieves struck at the SSA and made off with millions. 

The opposition DA was livid over the news with its MP Dianne Kohler-Barnard saying: "And these are the people we entrust with the security of our country." 

She will request an urgent safety and security portfolio committee meeting with State Security Minister Ayanda Dlodlo and the SSA. 

Kohler-Barnard said that, as was pointed out regarding the 2015 incident, there was no access to the building without an access card, and there were still questions over what the money from the 2015 incident was used for.

"Given the shroud of secrecy around the SSA, despite the bombshell report of the high-level review panel on the State Security Agency stating that there is a disproportionate application of secrecy in the SSA stifling effective accountability and facilitating serious non-compliance with controls including blatant criminality - the South African public may well never know." 

In March 2017, News24 reported that the National Prosecuting Authority said charges against the three people arrested for the 2015 incident were withdrawn because there was not enough evidence linking them to the crime.

In June 2016, the State withdrew theft charges against Khayalethu Mgatyelwa and Albert Ramabele. Charges were also withdrawn against William Mmotong, a VIP protector with the SSA.

Former state security minister David Mahlobo said at the time he was embarrassed by the theft from the SSA's own safe.

He added only money was stolen. Computer hardware, documents and other information related to the security of the state were not touched. 

Read more on:    ssa  |  pretoria  |  crime
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.