Third man arrested for arms stolen from Navy base

2016-07-29 18:02

Cape Town - A third man has been arrested for allegedly stealing military equipment from the SA Navy arms depot in Simon’s Town over the weekend, the Hawks have confirmed.

The suspect, believed to be 18 years old, was apprehended on Friday at the Navy barracks where he lives.

Following a search of the premises, one of the stolen firearms was uncovered, said spokesperson Captain Lloyd Ramovha.  

According to police, the man is not a member of the Navy.

"The suspect is expected to appear in the Simon’s Town Magistrate’s Court on Monday, alongside his accomplices who were arrested on Thursday," Ramovha said.

Two men, aged 18 and 21, were arrested on Thursday morning.

News24 previously reported that the SA National Defence Force had said that the men allegedly trespassed and got into the depot at the weekend.

Several guns, grenades and ammunition were stolen. 

After the duo’s arrest in Steenberg, they led Military Police and the Hawks to where they had stored the contraband.

Provincial Hawks head Major General Nombuso Khoza said all leads were being investigated. 

"Everyone who took part in this crime in whatever capacity will be brought to book," Khoza vowed.


NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 

Matric Results are coming soon!

Notify me when results become available

/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.