Tied up and attacked in his garage - magistrate describes pensioner's death

2019-06-24 20:50
(Duncan Alfreds, News24, file)

(Duncan Alfreds, News24, file)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Four people accused of murdering a Milnerton pensioner shortly after he got home from church were denied bail in the Cape Town Magistrate's Court on Monday.

Magistrate Greg Jacobs said the four, two of whom are minors, had not said a word to establish their credibility during their bail application, opting to remain silent.

The case was held in camera.

Jacobs took to summarising the details that emerged during their bail application.

The victim, identified as Peter O'Rourck by The Voice, had just returned to his home in Percival Street, Century City, from church, explained Jacobs.

This was last December.

He then decided to repair something in the garage and while he was there, his wife and child, who were inside the house, heard a noise.

They became frightened and pressed a panic button and locked themselves in the house.

When police arrived, they said they found one of the accused standing close to the pensioner's severely injured head, with a woman standing at his feet.

While Jacobs was summarising the details of the bail application, one of the accused shivered so much his whole body shook as he kept his eyes trained on his shoes.

Jacobs went on to say that another person wearing a police reflective jacket was sitting in O'Rourck's i10 Hyundai. Another was standing close to the garage. They allegedly had a toy gun on them.

"He had sellotape over his mouth," said Jacobs of the pensioner in summing up some of the details presented during their application.

He was also tied up.

Although he was cut free and an ambulance had arrived, he died.

Jacobs said it had so far been established that the four had allegedly scoped out the house before and caught a taxi from Gugulethu to Percival Street.

He noted that since O'Rourck's murder, some neighbours had been so shaken that they put their houses up for sale.

Jacobs said the accused had not shown compelling enough reasons to be released on bail, adding that the two minors would be kept in a special facility for minors.

The case continues on July 23.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

- FOLLOW News24 on Twitter

Read more on:    crime  |  courts
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.